1848 The Boston Public Library (BPL) is founded by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
1896 BPL opens a "Delivery Station" at 130 Tyler Street.
1915 Library moves into new municipal building at 118 Tyler Street (now the site of Tai Tung Village). 1938 Tyler Street Branch library closes.
1951 Branch library re-opens as a reading room.
1956 Branch library closed permanently as Central Artery construction begins.
1960s-1970s Book mobile comes through Chinatown once a week.
2001 The Chinese Youth Initiative (CYI) Youth starts library campaign. The Friends of the Chinatown Library (FOCL) launches.
2006 City of Boston funds feasibility study for a library in Chinatown.
2009 The Chinatown Storefront Library opens at 640 Washington Street for three months.
2012 The Chinatown Lantern Reading Room opens at Oak Terrace and closes in 2013.
2013 CYI collects and sends over 1,000 postcards advocating library services in Chinatown to BPL President, Amy Rand. During his candidacy, Mayor Walsh signs a pledge committing to building a Chinatown Library.
2014 CYI Youth collect over 600 petition signatures in support of community benefits funding for library services in Chinatown.
2015 CYI Library Committee meets with Boston City Councilors for a Chinatown Branch Library. CYI partners with FOCL to conduct focus groups to develop a community vision for a Chinatown Branch Library.
2016 City of Boston funds 2nd feasibility study for a branch library in Chinatown.
2018 Boston Public Library opens temporary branch services in Chinatown.